Find out if you require an international driving Permit (IDP)?
If you are a UK citizen and you want to drive in some other countries, you might need DVLA international driver permit ( IDP ) to travel in certain countries.
When you are looking forward to drive abroad, you should consider the requirements for that country. There are different requirements for different countries. What kind of license and Permit you required depend upon the number of days / months you stay in that country.
DVLA EU Driving Licence
If you want to drive in EU (Europeon Union), Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenste, there is no need of IDP in these countries. Though you must have photocard driving licence granted in the UK. If you do not have licence, you may apply for new provisional driving licence. Or if you have lost your licence, you can renew your DVLA lost provisional license. Once you have applied for new licence, you can alway check the status of your licence.
If you have a paper driving licence, you may need an IDP
Similary, if you have a license that was issued by Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or Jersey or the Isle of Man, again you need an IDP.
IDP stands for International Driving Permit.
Types of IDP
There are three types of IDP.
1926 Permit expires after 12 months
1949 Permit expires after 12 months
1968 Permit expires after 48 months (3 years) or at the time of UK licence expiry, whichever comes first.
International Driving Permit Countries
There are different IDPs for different countries of the world. Following are the IDP types and their countries.
IDP 1926 Countries
IDP 1949 Countries
- Botswana (IDP 1949 required for car hire)
- Burkina Faso
- Domnican Republic (Only required for more than 3 months stay)
- Haiti (Required 1949 IDP for more than 3 months stay)
- Malawi (Only required IDP if you stay more than 3 months)
- Malta (Required if you have a paper licence or or license of Guernsey, Isle of Man)
- Namibia (IDP required for car hire
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea (IDP 1949 for more than one month stay)
- Sierra Leone
- Singapore (1949 IDP required for more than one month stay and car hire)
- Sri Lanka (Sri Lankan recognition permit is required along with IDP 1949)
- Lucia (They will issue visitor’s licence through your UK Licence or IDP)
- Vincent (The Police will issue visitor’s licence through your UK Licence or IDP)
- Taiwan (IDP required for more than a month stay)
- Trinidad (Only requred IDP if you stay more than 3 months)
- Uganda (Required IDP if you stay more than 3 months)
- Vatican City
IDP 1968 Countries
- Bahamas (No need of IDP 1968 for stay less than 90 days)
- Bahrain (No need of IDP for less than 90 days stay. Though IDP required for car hire. Authorities of Bahrain issues certificate of permit when you reach there)
- Bosnia Herzegovina
- Brazil (Translate your IDP from British council)
- Cape Verde
- Centeral African Republic
- Ivory Coast
- Estonia (Required IDP only in case of paper licence. Otherwise you can stay 3 months out of 6 months period here without IDP)
- France (Required if you have a paper licence or or license of Guernsey, Jersy, Gibralter and Isle of Man)
- Georgia (For more than 6 months stay)
- Kenya (If you have more than 3 months stay)
- North Macedonia
- Norway (In case of paper driving licence, you should have IDP
- Philippines (IDP 1968 required for car hire and more than 3 months stay)
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia (1968 IDP required in case of car hire)
- South Africa (You may need to show your passport or any other photo ID in case of older paper licence.
- United Arab Emirates
Countries where IDP not needed
- Belgium (No need of IDP for 6 months. Paper licence or license of Jersy, Gibralter and Isle of Man will work for you. )
- Crotia (Paper licence or license of Jersy, Gibralter, Guernsey and Isle of Man will work for you. )
- Denmark (Can drive without IDP in case of less than 90 days stay)
- Germany (You can freely drive withoug IDP for 180 days stay)
- Haiti (You can drive here for 12 months without IDP)
- Iceland (No need of IDP for 1 month)
- Ireland (No need of IDP for 1 year)
- Lithuania (No need of IDP for 180 days)
- Luxembourg (No need of IDP for 180 days)
- Poland (No need of IDP for 180 days)
- Portugal (No need of IDP for 180 days)
- Romania (IDP required in case of paper driving license and Isle of Man licence.)
- Slovakia (No need of IDP for 180 days. IDP 1968 required for over stay)
- Slovenia (No need of IDP for 3 months)
- Spain (No need of IDP for 180 days)
- Sweden (No need of IDP for 1 year)